Valerian Trifa: „The Orthodox Church Today 1964“
(Continued from last issue)
In 1945, the Metropolitan of Sophia, Stefan, was elected Exarch and soon after, the Ecumenical Patriarch recognized the autocephalous status of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church within the limits of the Bulgarian Republic.
The Bulgarian Church, like other Churches behind the Iron Curtain, was faced lately with the problem of adjusting itself to new conditions dictated by Communist governments. The Church became separated from the State religious instruction in the public schools is prohibited and any social services of the Church are outlawed.
The Bulgarian Church counts about 6,000,000 faithful. In 1940, there were 2,742 Parishes, 2,381 Priests and eleven Dioceses.
The supreme legislative authority in the Bulgarian Church belongs to the National Council composed of Bishops and elected representatives of clergy and laity. In its structure, the constitution of the Bulgarian Church is hierarchical and also democratic. Church leaders are elected, not nominated, but the Holy Synod of Bishops has the sole authority in all matters of strictly religious nature.
From May 10,1953, the Metropolitan of Sophia assumed the title of Patriarch. At the present time, the Patriarch is the former Bishop of >>>>>Valerian Trifa>>>>>
Entry filed under: history.