Alexandru Nemoianu: „A Booklet the Romanian-American Community of Detroit“
The Center s library preserves a very interesting booklet published on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the „St. George Romanian Orthodox Cathedral.“ The booklet is entitled „Trei decenii de viaţă românească in Detroitul dinamic“ (Three decades of Romanian life in dynamic Detroit). It has 64 pages and was published in April, 1937.
The booklet presents not only the first twenty-five years of life of the „St. George Romanian Orthodox Cathedral,“ but also a very comprehensive image of the Romanian-American community of Detroit with its institutions and economic activity.
Important evens from „St. George“ parish (later given the name of cathedral) mentioned in chronological order in the booklet were: May 12,1912, the first Liturgy celebrated by Fr. Ilarie Serbu from Cleveland, Ohio; September 3, 1916, the consecration of the foundation; November 18, 1917, the consecration of the church located on Russell Street; in the same year the church choir and the Ladies auxiliary were organized; on November 4,1923, the painting of the church was completed; in 1927 the mortgage was paid; in April, 1929 the church hosted the Congress that decided the organization of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America; on July 4, 1935, „St. George“ church became the cathedral of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America.
The following eight pages of the booklet present photos and reproduce documents from „St. George“ Cathedral’s life. From page 25 to page 43, the booklet presents the people and the >>>>>Alexandru Nemoianu>>>>>
Entry filed under: history. Tags: .