On Sunday, June 18, 2006, was celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of Societatea Banatiana – V. Alecsandri, the oldest continuing Romanian-American organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Society was founded on June 15, 1906 by Romanian immigrants mostly from the towns of Pesac, Sinnicolau Mare, Lovrin, Comlosul Mare, Igris, and Satchinez. In 1913, Society members founded the oldest existing Romanian Orthodox Church in Philadelphia, Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pogorirea Duhului Sfint). Today the Society membership consists of native born Americans as well as older and newer immigrants from all parts of Romania in ages from 19 to 90. In 1993, the Society established a museum which preserves and exhibits all facets of Philadelphia Romanian-American history and culture, and as such, is the only museum of its kind established by a Romanian-American beneficial society in the United States.
After Sunday church services, a traditional requiem (parastas) in memory of all the deceased Society members was officiated in church by the parish priest, Fr. Adrian Grigoras. Afterwards, Society members repaired to the Society museum to pose for anniversary photographs and conversation. In the afternoon, a festive banquet – replete with continental cuisine and Romanian wine – was attended by 60 Society members, their friends and family members. An opening prayer was offered by pastor Don Romeo and followed by the singing of the American and Romanian patriotic national hymns „God Bless America“ and „Pe al Nostra Steag“. Official salutatory greetings were addressed by the local Romanian consul, >>>>>banateana Society>>>>>
Entry filed under: news. Tags: .